WCCM (World Community for Christian Meditation) Pilgrimage to Kashmir & Ladakh
WCCM (World Community for Christian Meditation) Pilgrimage to Kashmir & Ladakh – July 2017
To the extent possible the daily practice of Christian Meditation and other commitments of Christian life will be observed during the pilgrimage. Clement Sauvé will oversee this part of the programme.
This tour is open for members of the World Community for Christian Meditation – please see http://wccm.org/content/become-member
Because of the high altitudes involved in this itinerary prospective participants with respiratory or other health issues should consult their doctor prior to registering.
WCCM Pilgrimage to Kashmir & Ladakh, 8 – 25 July 2017
Delhi – Amritsar – Srinagar – Amarnath – Kargil – Nurla – Leh
Evening depart London on BA flight, arriving in Delhi at 08:20 the next morning.
(Guests joining from outside the UK, please get in touch)
Transfer from airport to Hotel Surya. Late afternoon visit to the Sufi shrine of Hazrat Nizamuddin.
Early morning transfer to New Delhi Railway Station to catch train to Amritsar: “New Delhi – Amritsar Shatabdi Express” train no. 12031 departing Delhi at 07:20 and arriving at Amritsar Junction at 13:45 (journey time 6 hours 25 minutes). Transfer to Hotel Hyatt Amritsar and afternoon visit to the Golden Temple.
Transfer to airport in Amritsar to catch flight to Srinagar – SpiceJet SG-438 departing Amritsar at 13:10 and arriving at Srinagar (altitude 6000ft) at 14:00. Transfer to Wangnoo Heritage Houseboats on Nagin Lake. Boat ride and lake meditation.
Visit to Mughal Gardens, the Buddha stupa of Harwan, and Takht-i-Suleiman, the “Throne of Solomon” in the Shankaracharya temple.
Dialogue visit to Jamia Masjid, or Sufi Shah Hamdan shrine. Possible afternoon visit to the Yuz Asaf shrine, the burial place of Jesus in the Ahmadi tradition.
80km drive to Amarnath base camp at 9,000ft.
Amarnath pilgrimage or less strenuous optional alternative for a leisure walk.
Spectacular drive over the Zojila Pass (11,580ft) out of Kashmir and into Ladakh. Stay at Highland Mountain Resort, Kargil.
Beautiful drive through spectacular scenery, including roadside Buddha carvings, and the passes of Namika La (12,400ft) and Photu La (13,400ft). Two night stay at the Apricot Tree hotel, Nurla, on the bank of the Indus.
Visits to the stupa of Hemis Shukchapam, and meditation visit to Themisgam monastery.
90km drive to Leh (11,000ft) via the monasteries of Alchi and Likir. Stay at the Grand Himalaya Hotel for five nights.
Morning meditation at the Gomang stupa. Visits to Jamia Masjid and Soma Gompa. Free afternoon.
Dialogue visit to Thiksey monastery. Visit to Stok Palace and museum.
Drive up to the Khardung La Pass, at 18,390ft believed to be the world’s highest motorable road, or visit to traditional Ladakhi shaman.
Free day for shopping in Tibetan markets, etc. Farewell dinner and cultural performance
Morning flight to Delhi, transfer to Ibis Hotel. Late evening transfer to airport for return flight.
01:50 BA flight to London, arriving 06:30.
- International and internal flights as per the itinerary in economy class. (Note for participants joining from outside the UK: if you wish to make your own travel arrangements to and from India the tour cost will be reduced by £670)
- All group travel in India
- Accommodation mostly on full board basis (bed and breakfast in Delhi and Amritsar and half board in Leh)
- All entrance and guide fees
- Full ATOL bonding
- Services of Kenneth Wilson as Tour Leader
- India visa fee. You can now apply for visa on arrival in India- please click here for more information. https://indianvisaonline.gov.in/visa/tvoa.html
- Any expenses of a personal nature like laundry, telephone calls, beverages, gratuities etc.
- Camera fees at monuments and other places of interest.
- Travel Insurance: It is essential to have adequate travel insurance in place before your departure. This should be appropriate for your age, health and destination you are visiting.
- It includes comprehensive medical and repatriation cover
- It provides cover for your whole trip
- It covers you for all activities
- It covers all your pre-existing medical conditions
- Keep your Policy Number and Insurer’s 24-hour Emergency Number handy with you
If you wish to book this tour, please compete the booking form, sign and e-mail it to us. A non-refundable deposit of £400.00 per person is needed at the time of booking. Balance payments will be due 8 weeks before departure. You can make the deposit payment by debit card or electronic transfers to our bank. Credit card payment will be charge at 2% extra. Our Bank details are on the booking form. Bookings are confirmed on first come first served basis. When the tour is full we will take about 5 additional names on the waiting list to replace their booking with any cancellations etc.
To enquire or make a booking on this tour, please call: 020 8901 7630 Monday – Friday 9.30am – 5.30pm, Saturday 11am – 4pm