When Gautama Siddhartha reached down to touch the earth on the night of his enlightenment, it was said to quake in response. The earth bore witness to his accumulated integrity. Through this gesture, enlightenment is understood not as other-worldly, but as an embodied experience.
That earth remembers the potency of that act, and reaches across ages to us now.
Come and touch that same earth. Water the living descendant of the Bodhi tree that sheltered the Buddha, fire up your practice under the same eastern sun, and breathe the air of a country steeped in spiritual history and cultural riches.
Come to your senses, on this timeless path where the possibility of enlightenment feels as real as this present moment.
We will savour time at the sacred Buddhist places, Bodhgaya, place of enlightenment and Sarnath, place of the first teaching that “set in motion the wheel of dhamma”.
From the ancient to the contemporary, we will visit the Dalai Lama’s temple, and attune to the cultivation at monasteries led by Buddhist nuns, Jetsunma Tenzin Palmo and Ani Sangmo, who each play their part in keeping the practice and teachings alive today.
Elizabeth will offer brief orienting talks about the Buddhist sites, along the way; and guided meditation sessions to integrate practice and context. There may also be opportunities for half day retreats.
Dr Elizabeth Day experienced India at the turn of this century and it blew her mind. She journeyed on a four-week contemplation through the Buddhist sacred sites in Northern India. Soon after that trip she ordained as a Buddhist monastic, to deepen her meditation practice. Several years later she returned in robes for a 6-month pilgrimage through India, visiting a wide range of adepts, ashrams and Buddhist sites.
Now, with her partner, Willa Thaniya, Elizabeth teaches yoga and meditation at their studio in New Zealand. She divides her time between dhamma teaching and consultations as a university lecturer and psychotherapist. She holds a doctorate in intersubjectivity, consciousness and identity.
Along with dhamma practice, teaching and leadership experience, Elizabeth brings on this trip with you her love and respect for many of the spiritual traditions of India, her enthusiasm for the cultivations of meditation and yoga, and her openness to adventure.
Touching The Earth
- 2 x Internal flights as per itinerary: from Delhi to Amritsar and from Dharamsala to Delhi in Economy Class
- Train tickets and reservations as per itinerary in AC Executive Chair Class
- 13 night’s accommodation in hotels as per itinerary, sharing twin or double room with en-suite facilities (Check-in is 1400 hrs and checkout 12 noon. Early check-in late checkouts are subject to availability)
- Daily breakfast and dinner at all hotels (except dinner on day 14). Lunches are included every day at local restaurants
- All arrival/departure transfers, long drives and sightseeing by a chauffeur driven private air-conditioned coach.
- Services of a local English-speaking representative for all arrival and departure transfers to assist you at the airports and railway station.
- Services of English speaking guides and local specialists during sightseeing as specified in the itinerary. Entrance fees to all monuments during sightseeing as specified in the itinerary
- Services of Canon Tony Fensome as trip leader
- complementary Mineral water while travelling & sightseeing
- Full ATOL & ABTA bonding
- International air fare.
- Dinner out on day 14
- India visa fee. You can now apply for visa on arrival in India- please click here for more information. https://indianvisaonline.gov.in/visa/tvoa.html
- Any expenses of a personal nature like laundry, telephone calls, beverages etc.
- Tips and gratuities
- Camera fees at monuments and other places of interest.
- Travel Insurance: It is essential to have adequate travel insurance in place before your departure. This should be appropriate for your age, health and destination you are visiting.
- To book this tour , please compete the booking form, sign and e-mail it to us. A non-refundable deposit of £500.00 per person is needed at the time of booking. Balance payments will be due 8 weeks before departure. You can make the deposit payment by debit card or electronic transfers to our bank. Our Bank details are on the booking form. Bookings are confirmed on first come first served basis. When the tour is full we will take about 5 additional names on the waiting list to replace their booking with any cancellations etc.
- If you wish to join the tour and fly from any country other than United Kingdom please contact us for land only arrangements.
- It includes comprehensive medical and repatriation cover
- It provides cover for your whole trip
- It covers you for all activities
- It covers all your pre-existing medical conditions
- Keep your Policy Number and Insurer’s 24-hour Emergency Number handy with you To get a competitive quote for comprehensive travel insurance click here